1/5 Photos of Mediterranean Eggplant (Aubergine) Casserole
1 hr 30 mins
This eggplant dish is from the "1 of a Kind" cookbook of the Junior League of Mobile, AL. I have not made this yet, but I did modify the recipe & add 2 ingredients I thot were a must to make this a classic dish. Altho the ingredient list appears lengthy, 7 are of the spice variety & the rest are common ingredients w/an easy prep. My best advice is strongly resist any temptation to leave out the cinnamon. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 medium eggplants (unpeeled & sliced in 1/4 in thick slices)
- 3/4 cup olive oil (more as required)
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 1 cup celery (chopped)
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 cup fresh tomato (seeded & diced)
- 1/2 cup black olives (quartered or sliced)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 large eggs (beaten)
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dry parmesan cheese (powder variety)
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Prepare onion, celery, green bell pepper, fresh tomato & black olives in stated quantity as directed & set aside.
- 3Slice unpeeled eggplant into 1/4" thick slices. Put olive oil in a saute pan & cook eggplant slices (in batches) till just slightly tender. Remove from pan & set aside.
- 4In the same pan, add onion, celery & bell pepper. Saute till crisp-tender.
- 5Remove from heat & stir in chopped tomato, black olives, herbs & spices.
- 6Place 1/3 of eggplant slices in a 9x13" baking dish. Top with 1/3 of veggie/spice mixture & repeat layering 2 more times. Bake 15 minutes.
- 7While casserole is baking, beat eggs & set aside. In a separate bowl, combine breadcrumbs, 2 tbsp olive oil & Parmesan cheese. Mix well & set aside.
- 8At 15 minutes, remove casserole from oven. Drizzle beaten eggs over surface, let them seep into the veggie mixture & move veggies around gently using a fork to aid this process as required.
- 9Sprinkle breadcrumb, olive oil & Parmesan cheese mixture evenly over surface & return to oven for 15 min or till breadcrumbs are golden brown. Serve immediately.
- 10NOTE: While the recipe did not suggest this, IMO this dish is capable of being expanded to a 1-dish meal w/the addition of your cooked grd meat of choice &/or crumbled feta cheese as another option.
Browse Our Top Eggs/Dairy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mediterranean Eggplant (Aubergine) Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (336 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 372.5
- Calories from Fat 251
- Total Fat 27.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 71.1 mg
- Sodium 373.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.0 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 7.5 g