Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
This eggplant dish is from the "1 of a Kind" cookbook of the Junior League of Mobile, AL. I have not made this yet, but I did modify the recipe & add 2 ingredients I thot were a must to make this a classic dish. Altho the ingredient list appears lengthy, 7 are of the spice variety & the rest are common ingredients w/an easy prep. My best advice is strongly resist any temptation to leave out the cinnamon. Enjoy!
- 3 medium eggplants (unpeeled & sliced in 1/4 in thick slices)
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil (more as required)
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 1 cup celery (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 cup fresh tomato (seeded & diced)
- 1⁄2 cup black olives (quartered or sliced)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 large eggs (beaten)
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dry parmesan cheese (powder variety)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare onion, celery, green bell pepper, fresh tomato & black olives in stated quantity as directed & set aside.
- Slice unpeeled eggplant into 1/4" thick slices. Put olive oil in a saute pan & cook eggplant slices (in batches) till just slightly tender. Remove from pan & set aside.
- In the same pan, add onion, celery & bell pepper. Saute till crisp-tender.
- Remove from heat & stir in chopped tomato, black olives, herbs & spices.
- Place 1/3 of eggplant slices in a 9x13" baking dish. Top with 1/3 of veggie/spice mixture & repeat layering 2 more times. Bake 15 minutes.
- While casserole is baking, beat eggs & set aside. In a separate bowl, combine breadcrumbs, 2 tbsp olive oil & Parmesan cheese. Mix well & set aside.
- At 15 minutes, remove casserole from oven. Drizzle beaten eggs over surface, let them seep into the veggie mixture & move veggies around gently using a fork to aid this process as required.
- Sprinkle breadcrumb, olive oil & Parmesan cheese mixture evenly over surface & return to oven for 15 min or till breadcrumbs are golden brown. Serve immediately.
- NOTE: While the recipe did not suggest this, IMO this dish is capable of being expanded to a 1-dish meal w/the addition of your cooked grd meat of choice &/or crumbled feta cheese as another option.
This was fantastic. I thought it made a delicious and complete lunch in and of itself.
This is very tasty I did add a pound of ground beef mixed with 8 ounces of tomato sauce and added garlic powder I would make again very filling thank you for your recipe
There is layer upon layer of flavor in this casserole. Each and severally they burst upon one's tastebuds. The very varying textures add to the experience. Exquisite. Thanks, twissis.