Recipe by Happy Harry #2
It's dishes like this one that makes it worthwhile having leftovers plus this freezes well! To keep this healthy, use a low sodium, homemade sauce, rinse the olives and artichokes well, & omit the additional salt or use subsitute. You can also make it vegetarian by using firmstyle tofu instead of chicken.
- 2 medium globe eggplants, peeled & cubed
- 1 1⁄2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 red pepper, seeded & sliced
- 1⁄2 green pepper, seeded & sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, large chop
- 6 ounces artichoke hearts, drained, rinsed & large dice
- 10 black olives, rinsed, & sliced in half
- 4 cups boneless skinless chicken breasts, large cubed (or Tofu)
- 32 ounces spaghetti sauce (your favorite)
- 12 ounces elbow macaroni
- 2 -3 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons Mrs. Dash seasoning mix
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh black pepper, ground
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In large skillet, brown onion in oil.
- Add peppers, mushrooms, garlic & cook another 3 minutes.
- Add eggplant, stir. Cover & simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Prepare macaroni. Cook only until a piece can just be pressed slightly against pot with spoon. DON'T OVERCOOK! Further cooking will take place in oven.
- Drain and return to cooking pot. Add 1 cup sauce, stir and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Uncover eggplant mixture and add the rest of ingredients, minus the macaroni. Stir and remove from heat.
- Lightly spray 9x13 inch casserole dish with vegetable oil. Place macaroni in and spread out evenly. Top with eggplant mixture.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and return to oven for another ten minutes.
- At this point you could add some grated cheese if so desired.
- When I use tofu, I use the firm style that I have kept in the freezer for a bit. It becomes more "meaty" after being frozen.