1 hr 25 mins
Happy Harry #2's Note:
It's dishes like this one that makes it worthwhile having leftovers plus this freezes well! To keep this healthy, use a low sodium, homemade sauce, rinse the olives and artichokes well, & omit the additional salt or use subsitute. You can also make it vegetarian by using firmstyle tofu instead of chicken.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium globe eggplants, peeled & cubed
- 1 1/2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 red pepper, seeded & sliced
- 1/2 green pepper, seeded & sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, large chop
- 6 ounces artichoke hearts, drained, rinsed & large dice
- 10 black olives, rinsed, & sliced in half
- 4 cups boneless skinless chicken breasts, large cubed (or Tofu)
- 32 ounces spaghetti sauce (your favorite)
- 12 ounces elbow macaroni
- 2 -3 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons Mrs. Dash seasoning mix
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh black pepper, ground
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1In large skillet, brown onion in oil.
- 2Add peppers, mushrooms, garlic & cook another 3 minutes.
- 3Add eggplant, stir. Cover & simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4Prepare macaroni. Cook only until a piece can just be pressed slightly against pot with spoon. DON'T OVERCOOK! Further cooking will take place in oven.
- 5Drain and return to cooking pot. Add 1 cup sauce, stir and set aside.
- 6Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 7Uncover eggplant mixture and add the rest of ingredients, minus the macaroni. Stir and remove from heat.
- 8Lightly spray 9x13 inch casserole dish with vegetable oil. Place macaroni in and spread out evenly. Top with eggplant mixture.
- 9Cover with foil.
- 10Bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and return to oven for another ten minutes.
- 11At this point you could add some grated cheese if so desired.
- 12When I use tofu, I use the firm style that I have kept in the freezer for a bit. It becomes more "meaty" after being frozen.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mediterranean Delight
Serving Size: 1 (306 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 332.3
- Calories from Fat 55
- Total Fat 6.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 702.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
- Sugars 15.8 g
- Protein 10.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
boneless skinless chicken breasts