1 hr 20 mins
For Christmas this year I was given a bottle of Baxter's Mediterranean Chutney - the jar lasted 3 days - it was so good. As they listed all the ingredients on the jar I thought I'd have a go at imitating it. Don't be put off by the amount of sugar, when it was first made, it tasted too sweet, but the flavour settled down to 'just right' after it had been in the jar for a few days. I think you can be reasonably liberal with the amounts of vegetables, but I have given what I put in my mixture.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 medium zucchini, chopped
- 3 onions, chopped (not sliced)
- 2 yellow capsicums or 2 red capsicums or 2 orange capsicum, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped black olives
- 6 fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon fresh chili pepper (optional)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1Add sugar and vinegar mixture to a good size pot and bring to the boil.
- 2Add all the vegetables and tomato paste.
- 3Add herbs and salt.
- 4Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for at least half an hour, stirring occasionally to ensure chutney doesn't burn to the bottom.
- 5If the vegetables haven't cooked down far enough and mixture is getting too'dry' add a little more water.
- 6Chutney is ready when mixture takes on the consistency of a thick sauce.
- 7Taste, and season with extra salt if needed.
- 8Thicken with cornstarch.
- 9Although mixture is already quite thick, the cornstarch holds the water left in the chutney in suspension and helps to make a more spreadable product.
- 10Seal in sterilized bottles (should make 2-3 medium size jam jars).
Browse Our Top Chutneys Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chutneys Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mediterranean Chutney - Low Points
Serving Size: 1 (3748 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 775.0
- Calories from Fat 41
- Total Fat 4.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1099.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 180.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.8 g
- Sugars 154.4 g
- Protein 10.4 g