Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Ready, Set, Cook! Hidden Valley Contest Entry. I created this recipe a few years ago for my family and we loved it. I was excited to see that there was a contest that actually required the very ingredients I already use to make this. I love the flavor of Hidden Valley® Original Ranch® Dressing and it lends itself perfectly to this recipe. Rotisserie chicken works well for those who do not have time to cook the chicken themselves. I hope you enjoy the flavor and texture combinations as much as we do!
For the Sandwich
- 8 large pita pockets
- 2 cups plain hummus (1/4 cup per wrap)
- 4 cups chicken salad (below, 1/2 cup per wrap)
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach leaves
- 2 medium fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled (1/8 cup per wrap)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh chives, finely chopped
Mediterranean Chopped Chicken Salad
- 4 chicken breasts, skinned, boned, cooked, cooled & chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup pitted kalamata olive, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 4 fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 cup yogurt, dressing (below)
- 8 ounces plain Greek yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 ounce Hidden Valley Original Ranch Dressing Mix
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 lemon, zest of
- salt and pepper, to taste
- To assemble wrap.
- Warm pita wraps in microwave or oven. Spread 1/4 cup hummus on each pita wrap. Spread 1/2 cup chicken salad mixture on each pita wrap. Garnish wraps with spinach, tomato, avocado and feta. Drizzle with yogurt dressing and sprinkle with chives.
- To make Chicken salad.
- Mix together chicken, peppers, shallots, cucumber, olives, parsley and mint. Add yogurt dressing (1-1/2 cups to achieve desired texture), to coat mixture lightly, reserving 1/2 cup yogurt dressing to drizzle on wraps before serving (about ¼ cup). Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- To make Yogurt dressing.
- Blend all ingredients thoroughly. Cover and chill for 2 hours.
MY grandma taught me to make it due or do with out. So, that's what I did. I didn't use Greek yogurt because I had some full fat French kwark to use up. And to be honest I didn't want it too sour so I skipped the sour cream and buttermilk. I did use a squeeze of garlic dressing and I didn't have Ranch mix but I tried to stay with the Mediterranean theme so I used some gyro mix - and then I didn't use chicken but a chicken like vegetarian substitute. <br/><br/>It was good and the surprising thing is my husband who doesn't normally like hummus and garlicky foods, he really liked it. But what I also did differently was used spinach tortilla's and a bit of fresh rucola and I ate mine cold at our picknick lunch, but I heated his warm in the oven - because he's one of those people who doesn't like cold food... he said it was great. I also made one for my friend that we met at the park for lunch - she really liked it too. <br/><br/>I left out the avocado and feta because my husband doesn't like it. I put it in for mine - it was good.