Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Bon Appetit (2001). These different latkes have an almost indian taste to them and they are just delicious! Top with sour cream or plain yogurt mixed with fresh mint.
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed,drained (chickpeas)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 3 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons olive oil (or more)
- pomegranate seeds (optional)
- Blend garbanzo beans, garlic, and rosemary in processor to coarse paste.
- Add eggs, 6 tablespoons water and extra-virgin olive oil; blend until smooth.
- Add flour, cumin, salt, pepper, and baking powder and blend.
- Pour batter into bowl Heat 6 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Working in batches, drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls into hot oil.
- Cook until golden, about 1 minute per side.
- Using slotted spatula, transfer latkes to paper towels to drain.
- Add more oil to skillet as necessary and allow to get hot before adding more batter.
- Transfer latkes to plates.
- Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds, if desired, and serve.