Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Bon Appetit (2001). These different latkes have an almost indian taste to them and they are just delicious! Top with sour cream or plain yogurt mixed with fresh mint.
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed,drained (chickpeas)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 3 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons olive oil (or more)
- pomegranate seeds (optional)
- Blend garbanzo beans, garlic, and rosemary in processor to coarse paste.
- Add eggs, 6 tablespoons water and extra-virgin olive oil; blend until smooth.
- Add flour, cumin, salt, pepper, and baking powder and blend.
- Pour batter into bowl Heat 6 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Working in batches, drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls into hot oil.
- Cook until golden, about 1 minute per side.
- Using slotted spatula, transfer latkes to paper towels to drain.
- Add more oil to skillet as necessary and allow to get hot before adding more batter.
- Transfer latkes to plates.
- Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds, if desired, and serve.
These were very good. They taste a little like falafel, but not as heavy. I sprayed a nonstick frying pan with olive oil spray instead of the 6 tbsps of olive oil & used a measuring tablespoon to drop the batter so the pancakes were about 2". I served them as an appetizer--3 small latkes, some salad greens and a couple of dollops of tehina on the side. They were a tiny bit too salty (and I love salt!) so I'm going to slightly reduce the salt next time.
Great consistency and very easy to make. However I found these to be a bit bland. If I make it again will spruce it up with more spices perhaps.
I made these for dinner tonight. I used kidney beans and corn. I also used only 1 egg and 1 eggwhite and added oat meal to boost the protein up. thanks for sharing, ii will make this again.