Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I found this recipe in my local newspaper. It is a big hit when I am having company. I usually broil it for a few minutes to brown after cooking. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family and I do.
- salt and pepper
- 1 pinch cumin
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 dozen chicken thigh
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 large vidalia onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup sherry wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 cup black olives, pitted and halved
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- Mix salt, pepper, cumin and cayenne and rub mixtures over the chicken thighs.
- In large heavy skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Saute chicken until golden brown. Remove from pan. Drain, leaving 2 tablespoons fat.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onion and garlic and saute about 10 minutes.
- Turn heat to high and add sherry to the onion and garlic mixture. Cook until the liquid is reduced, about 5 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes, bay leaves, olives,basil and salt and pepper to taste. Return chicken to pan.
- Cook,covered, about 35 to 40 minutes,until chicken begins to fall away from the bone. Serve over couscous.
Fantastic! This was so tasty and delicious, Even my picky eaters enjoyed this. Didn't change anything in the recipe. Thank-you so much for posting this. The onions were so soft, it was a culinary explosion on my taste buds.
Very nice way to serve chicken. Made exactly as stated except I didn't have any black olives! Served over rice. Will do again.