Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
All I can say is when I went over to my Aunt's house and smelled this on the stove I asked her for the recipe before even trying it. This is a wonderful sweet and spicy soup that I just know you will love. Diabetic Exchange: 4 lean meat, 3 carbohydrate (3 bread/starch), 3 vegetable
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 2 whole bone-in skinless chicken breasts, 2 pounds total,cut into quarters
- 2 medium onions, 12 ounces total,sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow bell peppers or 1 red bell pepper, 6 ounces seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 2 cups fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- Lightly spray a covered nonstick pot with cooking spray.
- Add the chicken and brown over high heat for 2 minutes, turning chicken once.
- Lower the heat and transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Set aside.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the pot except the reserved chicken pieces.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pot, cover, and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, until the chicken is barely falling off the bones.
- Divide the sweet potatoes and chicken between 4 shallow soup plates.
- Raise the heat under the pot and reduce the sauce for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Pour some of the mixture over each serving; serve at once.
Smells great cooking. I used boned thigh-leg meat and cut the sweet potatoes in smaller pieces to make it easier to serve. Really good over couscous. Strangely, it wasn't as good leftover as fresh, so eat a lot the first time!
Sweet and savory and delicious soup/stew. I used chicken breast, cooking it through at the start and then adding it back just before serving to rewarm. Very pretty presentation as well.