All I can say is when I went over to my Aunt's house and smelled this on the stove I asked her for the recipe before even trying it. This is a wonderful sweet and spicy soup that I just know you will love. Diabetic Exchange: 4 lean meat, 3 carbohydrate (3 bread/starch), 3 vegetable
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 2 whole bone-in skinless chicken breasts, 2 pounds total,cut into quarters
- 2 medium onions, 12 ounces total,sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow bell peppers or 1 red bell pepper, 6 ounces seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 2 cups fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1Lightly spray a covered nonstick pot with cooking spray.
- 2Add the chicken and brown over high heat for 2 minutes, turning chicken once.
- 3Lower the heat and transfer the chicken to a plate.
- 4Set aside.
- 5Add all remaining ingredients to the pot except the reserved chicken pieces.
- 6Bring to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes.
- 7Return the chicken to the pot, cover, and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, until the chicken is barely falling off the bones.
- 8Divide the sweet potatoes and chicken between 4 shallow soup plates.
- 9Raise the heat under the pot and reduce the sauce for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 10Pour some of the mixture over each serving; serve at once.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mediterranean Chicken Stew
Serving Size: 1 (702 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 422.4
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 75.5 mg
- Sodium 312.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.7 g
- Sugars 17.5 g
- Protein 33.2 g