Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
These are so good, you will want more and more of these very tasty pitas. If desired, cooked turkey may be used in place of chicken.
Top Review by TSpoon in UT
I have a similar recipe that I was going to post until I saw this one. Mine makes 4 servings, but they are much smaller servings than the 4 servings this recipe makes (my recipe calls for 1/2 lb chicken, compared to 1 1/2 lbs). I've made it using canned cooked chicken, and it works great.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cooked chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen peas
- 2 medium tomatoes, washed and chopped
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 green onions, chopped
- salt and black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt (low-fat is okay)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise (Hellman's is best, low-fat is okay)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried dill (or to taste)
- 4 (1 1/2 ounce) pita breads, halved crosswise
- 4 whole iceberg lettuce or 4 whole shredded lettuce, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a half cup of water to a boil in a medium saucepan; add the frozen peas, bring to a boil, and simmer for 4 minutes (do not overcook); drain, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked chicken, cooked peas, tomatoes, feta cheese, green onion and black pepper if desired.
- Fold in the yogurt, mayo, lemon juice and dillweed; toss well to combine.
- Line the pita halves with a leaf of lettuce or shredded lettuce if desired, and stuff with chicken mixture.
- If you are a garlic lover, then fresh garlic or garlic powder may be added to the mixture.