Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
These are so good, you will want more and more of these very tasty pitas. If desired, cooked turkey may be used in place of chicken.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cooked chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen peas
- 2 medium tomatoes, washed and chopped
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 green onions, chopped
- salt and black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt (low-fat is okay)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise (Hellman's is best, low-fat is okay)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried dill (or to taste)
- 4 (1 1/2 ounce) pita breads, halved crosswise
- 4 whole iceberg lettuce or 4 whole shredded lettuce, if desired
- Bring a half cup of water to a boil in a medium saucepan; add the frozen peas, bring to a boil, and simmer for 4 minutes (do not overcook); drain, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked chicken, cooked peas, tomatoes, feta cheese, green onion and black pepper if desired.
- Fold in the yogurt, mayo, lemon juice and dillweed; toss well to combine.
- Line the pita halves with a leaf of lettuce or shredded lettuce if desired, and stuff with chicken mixture.
- If you are a garlic lover, then fresh garlic or garlic powder may be added to the mixture.
I have a similar recipe that I was going to post until I saw this one. Mine makes 4 servings, but they are much smaller servings than the 4 servings this recipe makes (my recipe calls for 1/2 lb chicken, compared to 1 1/2 lbs). I've made it using canned cooked chicken, and it works great.