Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a quick and easy recipe to use up an leftover chicken, this is also good with leftover turkey too. For brilliant yellow rice sub 1/2 teaspoon tumeric for the saffron if desired! Adjust all the amounts (except the rice and liquids) to taste.
Top Review by Satyne
Delicious! Fairly sure I made this as written, think I threw in some extra veg that needed using. One of the things I love about these sorts of dishes is that you can add a few things without taking away from the final result. Thanks for sharing.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes (optional or to taste)
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup frozen artichoke heart, thawed (or use canned drained)
- 3⁄4 cup sliced pitted olive (use green or black)
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 cup water (or use 1 cup chicken broth with the a 14-ounce can)
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pinch saffron thread
- black pepper
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup frozen green pea, thawed
Directions See How It's Made
- Heal oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add in onions, garlic, bell pepper and chili flakes (if using) saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add in artichokes and olives; cook, stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add in broth and water; bring to a boil.
- Add in the uncooked rice, salt and paprika; mix well, then add in saffron; season with black pepper cover and simmer over medium-low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Add in the cooked chicken or turkey and peas; mix to combine; cover and cook for another 5-7 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender and the peas are cooked through.
- Season with more salt and pepper if desired.
- Remove from heat; let stand for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.