Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
If it's comfort food you're after, look no further than this easy and tasty chicken casserole.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 8 chicken legs
- 1 large brown onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 3 celery ribs, trimmed, cut into 1in thick slices
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 7 ounces button mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced Italian tomatoes
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 5 ounces frozen fava beans, thawed, peeled
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave
- fresh ground black pepper
- 7 ounces dried pasta shapes, to serve (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, for 5 minutes or until brown all over.
- Transfer chicken to an ovenproof casserole dish.
- Add onion and celery to the frying pan and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Add tomatoes and stock cube and bring to the boil. Remove from heat. Add to casserole dish with the chicken.
- Cover the casserole dish with a tight-fitting lid or foil. Bake in oven for 35 minutes or until chicken is tender. Add broad beans and half the thyme and cook for a further 10 minutes or until broad beans are tender. Remove from oven. Taste and season with pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water following packet directions or until al dente. Drain well.
- Spoon casserole into a large serving bowl. Sprinkle with remaining thyme and serve with pasta, if desired.