Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Simple ingredients with lots of flavor!
- 1 cup brown rice
- 12 -16 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 3-4 pieces)
- mixed Italian herbs
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium white onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaf, julienned
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil (about 4-6 quarts). Add rice and boil for 30-40 minutes, or until rice is tender. Drain and set aside.
- Cut chicken into thin strips. Lightly season on cutting board with italian herbs, salt, and pepper. Mix chicken with tongs until meat is coated evenly with seasonings.
- In a large non-stick skillet heat 1/2 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until no longer pink in the center, about 5 minutes. Remove chicken to a plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat. Add green pepper and saute for 30 seconds; add onion and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Next, add garlic, lemon juice, and artichoke hearts; cook and stir until artichoke is heated through.
- Stir in chicken, basil, and parsley. Serve over rice.
What a fresh, healthy and complete meal. I love the fresh ingredients and felt very good about serving this healthy meal to my family. I served this over brown jasmine rice and it proved to be a good combination. Thank you for posting this great recipe. I love your photo! Made for Spring 2013 Pick A Chef in the Contest and Events forum.