Recipe by JenniferK2
Believe it or not, I found this recipe in a magazine when I was in high school nearly 20 years ago and it was attributed to Dick Van Patten. It's easy and tastes great!
Top Review by bmcnichol
This was good and easy to make. I cut my chicken breasts into big pieces. I followed the recipe as written other then I only put in three teaspoons of italian seasoning as that seemed like more then enough for my family. I also used black pepper instead of ground red pepper.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 14 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 5 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Dredge chicken in flour; shake off excess.
- Spray large skillet with cooking spray; add oil. Brown chicken in oil; remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add green pepper, onion and garlic and saute 5 minutes; add mushrooms and saute additional 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, water, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and red pepper. Bring to a boil and stir in rice. Return chicken to pan.
- Cover and cook over low heat 30 minutes or until tender and all liquid is absorbed.