Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is really delicious, like a quiche but healthier.
- 100 g semi dried tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup tasty cheese, grated
- 2 green onions, sliced (shallot spring onion)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced black olives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 slices thick bread, cubed good italian style
- Preheat oven to 180 degC.
- Lightly butter 24cm pie plate.
- Place the semi dried tomatoes on a paper towel and pat to dry the oil off them.
- Cut them in half.
- Whisk milk and eggs and garlic together, add all the other ingredients except the bread and mix well.
- Add the bread and stir until moistened.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared pie dish.
- Let it stand until the bread absorbs most of the custard, pressing several times to submerge the bred cubes, about 5 mins this takes.
- Bake uncovered until light brown and knife inserted into the centre comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Cut the strata into wedges.
- Serve with a salad of mesclun mix.
This is great easy food to take along on a picnic. I made the recipe as posted, except for adding freshly ground black pepper and a little parmesan. I had to double the cooking time - it was more like 45 minutes than 20 in my oven. Thanks for posting Latchy.