Prep 2 hrs
Cook 45 mins
This bread takes some time to prepare but is well worth it.
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup chopped black olives
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- In a bowl, mix together flour, yeast, sugar, salt, garlic powder, italian seasoning, black olives, olive oil, and water.
- Turn out dough on a floured board.
- Knead until smooth- about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Let rise about 45 minutes, until it doubles in size and punch down.
- Knead for another 5 to 10 minutes an let rise for 30 minutes, until it doubles in size.
- Round the dough on kneading board.
- Place dough upside down in a bowl lined with a lint-free, well floured towel.
- Let rise until double in size.
- While the bread is rising for the third time, put a pan of water in the bottom of the oven.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Gently turn loaf out onto a sheet pan that has been lightly oiled and dusted with cornmeal.
- Bake loaf at 450 degrees F for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 375 degrees and bake for 30 more minutes, or until done.
I took Karen's advice and did the first 6 steps in my ABM, and then picked up on Step 7. I made some changes, using sun-dried tomato oil instead of the olive oil, and using 1/4 cup kalamata olives & 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes instead of the 1/2 cup olives. The result was ABSOLUTE DELICIOUSNESS! And the bread looked amazing. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Great bread. I doubled the olives, and replaced 1/3 of the flour with WW flour. It makes the bread more "rustic". Thank you for a great recipe!
What a load of bollox, worst recipe ever I followed this as per instructions. Bread did not rise which gave me dubious thoughts. When put in oven as per instructions it burnt within 10 minutes!!!! Had no choice but to bin it, a massive waste of my time, food and efforts, what a cunt