Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Taste of Home. Posted for ZWT - Greece. I tried it and the taste is great with all the veggies and spices.
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- hot cooked spaghetti (optional)
- In a nonstick skillet, cook the beef, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper in 1 teaspoon oil over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute onion in remaining oil for 2 minutes. Add zucchini and green pepper; cook and stir for 4-6 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes, vinegar, basil, thyme and remaining salt. Add the beef mixture; heat through. Serve over the spaghetti if desired.
This was excellent. I subbed out green pepper and added thin slices sweet yellow and red baby bells. 1 can of chopped olives. And sprinkled some feta on top.
Great easy dish! I tweaked by using two green peppers and only one zucchini, a full pound of ground beef, and instead of pasta we put it on some basmati rice and topped with feta. Delish! Next time I'll probably use a bit more garlic and a pinch more red wine vinegar.
A fast fresh tasting dish. The only change I made was to use a 14oz (400g) can of diced tomatoes with fresh basil with about half a can of water that I rinsed the can with. I aso added in half a diced red pepper as it was looking lonely in the fridge. DH said to not lose this recipe and that is high praise indeed. :) Served over fettucine. Made for NZ/Aus swap May 2011.