Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
With juicy strips of steak and rich feta cheese, it's hard to believe that this main dish salad recipe has less than 200 calories per serving. From Diabetic Living
- 1 lb boneless beef top sirloin steak, cut 1 inch thick
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups torn romaine leaves
- 1⁄2 of a small red onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1 cup halved cherries or 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled feta cheese (2 ounces, or cheese of your choice)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and black pepper
- Trim fat from steak. Sprinkle steak with salt and pepper. Place steak on the unheated rack of a broiler pan. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat until desired doneness, turning once halfway through broiling time. Allow 15 to 17 minutes for medium-rare doneness (145 degrees F) or 20 to 22 minutes for medium doneness (160 degrees F). Thinly slice steak.
- Divide romaine among 4 dinner plates. Top with sliced meat, red onion, tomatoes, and feta cheese. Drizzle with Lemon Vinaigrette.
- LEMON VINAIGRETTE:.
- In a screw-top jar combine olive oil, lemon peel, lemon juice, oregano and garlic. Cover and shake well. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Makes about 1/2 cup.