Recipe by SkinnyMinnie
With the cold weather coming on, I need all the warm soups and stews I can find. This one sounds right up my alley!! It might take some time, but it is done in the crockpot...BONUS!!
- 1 lb dried cannellini beans or 1 lb dried navy beans
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 8 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced (about 6 cloves)
- 1 bunch fresh kale
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse the beans and pick out any debris.
- Put the beans in a crockpot set on high.
- Add the salt and water.
- Cook for 8 hours or overnight, or cook in simmering water on the stove for a couple of hours.
- Heat the oil in a wide skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, carrots, and celery.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 15 min until soft.
- Add the garlic and cook for 3-4 min more.
- Scrape the vegetables into the beans.
- Rinse the kale and remove any big stems.
- Chop the leaves and add to the soup along with the tomatoes, basil, rosemary and red pepper flakes.
- Cook until the kale is wilted and tender, about 15-20 minute.