Recipe by MathMom.calif
Posted in the MyFoodDiary.com forums, from a newspaper article some time back. Excellent salad, and very healthy. Tasty. Healthy. You can't go wrong. Even my kids like this one.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 1⁄4 cups vegetable broth or 2 1⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup pearl barley or 1 cup hulled barley
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomato, cut up small
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 of a red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 of a yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled feta cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the barley in the broth along with the chopped sun-dried tomatoes for about 30-40 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed and the barley is tender. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Mix the oil, vinegar and mustard thoroughly.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the barley mixture (green onions through feta cheese), stir, and then add the oil and vinegar mixture, stirring again.
- Add salt and pepper if needed for your taste.
- •Serve on a bed of torn romaine with some chicken for a main dish.
- •Add toasted pine nuts.
- •Use fresh tomatoes instead of sun-dried, if you have good tomatoes available.
- •Use fresh oregano (1 Tbsp instead of 1 tsp) if you have fresh herbs available.
- For vegetarian use only the vegetable broth.