Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an easy yet very tasty dish that uses fairly common ingredients. Wonderful flavours.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 (6 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 roasted red peppers, diced
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- cornstarch (optional)
- water (optional)
- cooked rice or couscous
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat oil in non-stick skilled over medium high heat.
- Lightly brown chicken pieces and transfer to shallow, oven-rpoof dish.
- Combine tomatoes, red peppers, vinegar, capers and chili flakes.
- Pour over chicken.
- Bake in oven for 25 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove from oven.
- If desired, thicken sauce with mixture of cornstarch and water.
- Sprinkle fresh basil and parsley over top.
- Serve the chicken and sauce over rice or couscous.
Martha, thanks for giving us the highlight of tonight's dinner! I wish I'm made a photo since this dish was beautiful served on a bed of steamed, wilted spinach. The flavors were well balanced and after 25 minutes in the oven, they had permeated the chicken. My friends asked for copies of the recipe because it truly deserves 5 stars. The only change I'd contemplate is using fresh rather than canned tomatoes since I'm not a fan of the the uniform favor and texture of the canned product. We liked the sauce unthickened and served the dish with tabouleh on the side.