Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
- 1⁄2 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 2 small zucchini
- 1 medium eggplant (about l pound)
- 1 green bell peppers or 1 red bell pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 28 ounces plum tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped,juice reserved
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb dried penne rigate or 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely grated part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375° degrees.
- Lightly oil a 3-quart baking dish or coat it with nonstick spray.
- Coat the dish with 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, tapping out the excess.
- Cut zucchini, eggplant, bell pepper, onion and celery into 1/2-inch dice.
- Put a pot of water on to boil for cooking pasta.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add diced vegetables; saute until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more.
- Add wine and stir until almost evaporated, about 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and juice.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until thickened, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a large bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, cook penne (or rigatoni) in boiling salted water until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Drain and rinse well.
- Toss pasta with vegetable mixture and mix in mozzarella.
- (The pasta mixture will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.) Spoon pasta mixture into prepared baking dish and drizzle eggs evenly over the top.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining 1/4 cup breadcrumbs and parmesan.
- Sprinkle evenly over pasta.
- Bake pasta for 40 to 50 minutes, or until golden and bubbly.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Nice mild flavor. I omitted the eggplant, celery and garlic since I didn't have any on hand, but I didn't feel the finished product was at a loss for it. It was a bit on the time-consuming side, but for a Saturday dinner, it worked alright. I will prepare this dish again.