1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 2 small zucchini
- 1 medium eggplant (about l pound)
- 1 green bell peppers or 1 red bell pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 28 ounces plum tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped,juice reserved
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb dried penne rigate or 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely grated part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 375° degrees.
- 2Lightly oil a 3-quart baking dish or coat it with nonstick spray.
- 3Coat the dish with 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, tapping out the excess.
- 4Cut zucchini, eggplant, bell pepper, onion and celery into 1/2-inch dice.
- 5Put a pot of water on to boil for cooking pasta.
- 6In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- 7Add diced vegetables; saute until tender, about 10 minutes.
- 8Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more.
- 9Add wine and stir until almost evaporated, about 2 minutes.
- 10Add tomatoes and juice.
- 11Bring to a simmer and cook until thickened, 10 to 15 minutes.
- 12Season with salt and pepper.
- 13Transfer to a large bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- 14Meanwhile, cook penne (or rigatoni) in boiling salted water until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 15Drain and rinse well.
- 16Toss pasta with vegetable mixture and mix in mozzarella.
- 17(The pasta mixture will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.) Spoon pasta mixture into prepared baking dish and drizzle eggs evenly over the top.
- 18In a small bowl, combine remaining 1/4 cup breadcrumbs and parmesan.
- 19Sprinkle evenly over pasta.
- 20Bake pasta for 40 to 50 minutes, or until golden and bubbly.
- 21Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mediterranean Baked Penne
Serving Size: 1 (361 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 440.1
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 81.1 mg
- Sodium 366.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 22.9 g