Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Great fresh flavorful dish!
- 4 large flounder fillets
- 5 plum tomatoes
- 1⁄2 Spanish onion, Chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 20 kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 lemon
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1 dash kosher salt
- 1 dash of fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Blanch tomatoes. To do this bring a pot or deep sauce pan of water to a boil. Places tomatoes in the boiling water for about 30 seconds. Remove and immediately put them in a bowl of ice water. Let them chill, you will start to see the skins pull away from the meat. After a minute or two take tomatoes out of water and gently remove skin by rolling your thumbs over the tomatoes. Skins should come off easily.
- Chop Tomatoes into desired size and set aside.
- Put 1 tablespoon of oil in a large saucepan. Place minced garlic and copped onion in the pan. Cook over med. heat until onions become translucent (about 5 min). Add in tomatoes, wine, olives, capers, and 5 or 6 fresh basil leaves (copped). Let stew covered for 5 minutes. Then uncover and add Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Reduce heat and cook uncovered let cook until mixture becomes a thick sauce (about 15 minutes).
- In a glass baking dish place 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Gently lay cleaned fish into dish. Cut lemon in half and squeeze fresh lemon on top of fish. Put a dash of salt and pepper onto each fillet. Put in over and bake for 12 minutes or until fish is easily flaked with a fork.
- Remove fish from oven. Plate and place tomato sauce over fish. Garish with a fresh basil leave, and a slice of lemon. Add a bit of fresh grated parmesan on top if desired.