Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Unlike a lot of similar recipes, this is vegan (cheese opt.), gluten-free and made in the oven, not a crock pot. It is so good. Someone I fed it to said "It's like all these really good vegetable are vying for your attention, and they're all winning."
- 1 eggplant, sliced thin
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced in strips
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) can black olives
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup hummus
- 4 tablespoons wine or 4 tablespoons cooking wine or 4 tablespoons beer or 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese (optional)
- Toss eggplant slices with olive oil. Arrange in a pie crust style shape in round cake or casserole pan (heck, it could even be square) about eight inches across. Reserve a few of the thinnest slices.
- Toss olives, garlic, onion, half the hummus, and half the alcoholic beverage/water.
- Layer bell pepper strips and reserved eggplant slices over top.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese (if you want it), and reserved hummus (diluted to pourable consistency with anything).
- Lay a sheet of loose aluminum foil across top and bake at 375 degrees for 40-50 minutes.
- For Vegan omit the cheese.