Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs 30 mins
Delicious and easy to make, this recipe is also very low in carbs and fat. I created it for our Medifast weight loss program (working well -- between us we have lost more than 128 pounds in the past five months and feel great!). You can make this using regular peanut butter, but PB2, which is available online and at health and specialty food stores, has 85% less fat and about half the calories. Choose prepared salsa verde (green tomatillo and chili sauce) that has 1 gram of carbohydrates per serving when possible. The "Caulirice" is as easy to prepare, if a little messier, than regular rice, so go ahead and make the entire head, then store the extra portions in single-serving locking baggies and freeze. You'll be glad you did!
- Clean and chop the chicken into large chunks (e.g., each breast quartered).
- In a medium sized bowl, mix salsa, reduced sodium soy sauce, ginger, and PB2 together; blend thoroughly with a whisk.
- Place about a third of the chicken in the crockpot.
- Layer about a third of the sauce on top of the chicken in the crockpot.
- Repeat layering with remaining chicken and sauce.
- Cook on low for about 6 hours. Do not stir.
- Califlower "Rice".
- Wash and trim leaves away from head of cauliflower.
- Coarsely chop into 1 - 2 inch chunks.
- Layer as much as will fit in a microwave steamer basket; do NOT add water. Microwave on High for about 3 minutes. Repeat process with remaining chunks of cauliflower.
- When cauliflower chunks are cool enough to handle, grate with a medium or large hole grater. If you have a food processor, use it -- much quicker.
- Just before serving, microwave each caulirice portion for about 45-60 seconds to bring it to eating temperature.
- (Excess "caulirice" portions can be stored individually in ziploc bags and frozen. To use at a later time, just microwave for about 2 minutes.).
- To serve:
- Mound “caulirice” on plate and either heap chicken and sauce on top or make a ring around the caulirice. Top with fresh cilantro leaves.