1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
I lived in Germany when I was a little girl and loved German meat loaf. When I proposed making this for our Medifast Lean and Green dinner the other night, my husband was aghast -- pork in meatloaf? Meatloaf??? With a little tweaking of our old family recipe, I think inherited from an au pair who lived with us for a while, (and leaving out the gravy!), we ended up with this meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground extra-lean beef
- 1 lb ground extra-lean pork
- 5 crackers, saltine (or 1 packet Medifast Multi-Grain Crackers*)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons egg substitute (or 1 egg)
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tomato, sliced (or 1 can tomatoes, reduced-sodium, sugar free, diced or crushed)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray if desired.
- 3Dump meats into a large bowl and mix thoroughly. (Hands work best!).
- 4Finely crush crackers to crumbs and sprinkle over the meat.
- 5[OPTIONAL] Put all dry spices into a mortar and pestle and grind to a fine powder. Add fresh rosemary and garlic and rub together with the pestle. Using a spatula, scrape all spices into the meat bowl. Mix well.
- 6If you don’t use a mortar and pestle, just rub the wet and dry spices together with your fingers and work into the mixture in the meat bowl, mixing well.
- 7In a small bowl or measuring cup, lightly beat the egg substitute (or whole egg, if preferred); pour into meat mixture, using a spatula to get all egg out of the container. Mix all ingredients very, very well until they are completely incorporated into the mixture and the texture is smooth with no visible signs of lumps, crackers, or spots of seasoning.
- 8Knead and shape mixture into a smooth loaf and place in loaf pan.
- 9[OPTIONAL] Top with fresh tomato slices or drained, canned, reduced-sodium crushed or diced tomato.
- 10Bake for about one hour and 15 minutes at 350 F, until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees and all juices run clear.
- 11Note: Check at about 45 minutes into the cooking time and drain off excess fat if desired (recommended).
Browse Our Top Meatloaf Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Medifast Friendly German Meat Loaf (Hackbraten)
Serving Size: 1 (190 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 737.5
- Calories from Fat 577
- Total Fat 64.1 g
- Saturated Fat 25.3 g
- Cholesterol 138.3 mg
- Sodium 185.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 28.5 g