Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A recipe passed on from a friend after a wonderful medieval feast with our homeschool families.
Make and share this Medieval Rabbit, Veal, or Chicken Stew With Herbs and Barley recipe from Food.com.
- 2 ounces butter
- 2 -3 lbs rabbit joints or 2 -3 lbs stewing veal or 2 -3 lbs chicken pieces
- 1 lb leek, washed and trimmed, thickly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 6 ounces pot barley
- 3 3⁄4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar or 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 15 fresh sage leaves, roughly chopped or 1 tablespoon dried sage
- Melt the butter in a heavy pan and fry the meat with the leeks and garlic till the vegetables are slightly softened and the meat lightly browned.
- Add the barley, water, vinegar, bay leaves and seasoning.
- Bring the pot to the boil.
- Cover it and simmer gently for 1 - 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is really tender and ready to fall from the bone.
- Add the sage and continue to cook for several minutes.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste and serve in bowls-- the barley will serve as a vegetable.
- (We served them on bread trenchers at our feast.).