Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
My version of the Basic Meat Pie from www.godecookery.com. I've successfully made this three times.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef (any or all of beef, pork, rabbit, venison, etc.- just 1 1/2 lbs total. Sirloin steak makes the best) or 1 1⁄2 lbs pork or 1 1⁄2 lbs rabbit or 1 1⁄2 lbs venison steak
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 1⁄2 cup currants (or any other dried fruit) or 1⁄2 cup raisins (or any other dried fruit)
- 4 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2-1 cup broth (whatever most of the meat is)
- 1 dash cooking wine
- 9 inches pie shells (with lid)
- Broil the meat till very rare, but cooked through.
- Cut it into small cubes.
- Mix with all other ingredients except the pie shell.
- For the broth, just add enough to make the mixture a little wetter.
- Put the mixture into the pie shell.
- Be sure the shell lid is sealed, and punch some holes in the top with a knife.
- Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes to an hour, till the shell is golden brown.
- Makes 6-8 slices, and can be served any temperature.
- It's easiest to cut when cold.
Good stuff! We used less beef, and added some salt, and it was quite tasty. I might make it up in small pastry packets to take to events. Oh, also, I added about a half cup of cooked peas.
This was delicious! I made it with pork and used feta cheese (all I had on hand besides Parmesan). I made it into individual hand pies.
I love this recipe, once I even used a 50-50 blend of lamb sausage and beef liver and it turned out wonderfully; the whole family loved it, and in general, we dislike liver. Great recipe with a lot of room to create variations. I definitely recomend it.