Recipe by MissTiff16
Sautéed medallions of veal with shiitake mushrooms and Cognac. From Cafe Lucci :O) I will put in an estimate for the time.
Top Review by PatRota
This was absolutely wonderful. My husband, son (20) and daughter (19) all loved this dish. They suggested it be added to our "favorite entree's" list. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. The only substitution I made was to use veal demi glace in leiu of the stock.
- 6 veal medallions, flour for dredging (from the loin, pounded thin)
- 1⁄8 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon shallot, minced
- 1⁄4 cup cognac
- 1⁄2 cup veal stock
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat sauté pan (large enough to accommodate all 6 medallions without overlap) over medium high heat. Dredge each medallion in flour and shake off excess. Add butter to pan. When the butter is melted and begins to foam, add the medallions and sear on both sides. Remove to drain on paper toweling.
- Drain the butter from pan and add shallots, cooking until translucent. Add the shiitake mushrooms, stirring to incorporate with shallots. Cook about 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat and add Cognac. Return to the heat carefully to avoid flare-up. Reduce Cognac until almost dry. Add veal stock and reduce by half. Season with salt and pepper. Add cream and reduce by half, stirring occasionally to blend flavors. Return medallions to pan and coat well with sauce. Place on plates and spoon sauce on top. Garnish with sprigs of fresh parsley.
- Suggested wine - 2000 Mondavi/Frescobaldi Lucente or a favorite medium- to full-bodied red of your choice.