This traditional Tunisian salad is often served topped with quartered hard-boiled eggs and canned tuna for a first course. Serve with couscous or any unsauced fish or chicken dish. From Home for Dinner: Fresh Tastes, Quick Techniques, Easy Cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large red peppers, halved
- 1 fresh red chili or 1 jalapeno pepper, halved
- 3 plum tomatoes, halved and seeded
- 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 2 teaspoons dried ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1Place peppers, chili and tomatoes cut side down on baking sheet with garlic cloves.
- 2Broil until skins of peppers and tomatoes are charred and garlic cloves are softened.
- 3Remove vegetables as they are ready.
- 4Cool slightly, then skin and seed all vegetables.
- 5Dice peppers and place in bowl.
- 6Puree tomatoes, chili, garlic, coriander, caraway seeds and cinnamon in food processor.
- 7Stir in lemon juice and olive oil.
- 8Season well with salt and pepper.
- 9Toss grilled peppers with tomato dressing.
- 10Garnish with capers.
Browse Our Top Peppers Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mechouia (Tunisian Salad)
Serving Size: 1 (151 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 105.4
- Calories from Fat 66
- Total Fat 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 134.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 1.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: