1 hr 54 mins
1 hr 34 mins
Adapted from a recipe in Sep/Oct 2012 Cook's Illustrated. Modified to use turkey and amp up some of the flavors.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 onion, chopped fine
- 4 ounces button mushrooms, trimmed and sliced thin
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1 slice rustic white bread, torn into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/4 lbs ground turkey, thighs
- 1Set an oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350°F Set a rack in a rimmed baking sheet. Fold a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil to form a rectangle 6 1/2 by 3 1/2 inches. Set the foil on the rack and spray it with oil spray. Poke holes in the foil at 1/2" intervals.
- 2Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and mushroom and cook until starting to brown, 10-12 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, until browned, 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add 2 T chicken broth and garlic. Scrape any stuck-on brown bits from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon/spatula, and cook until thickened, about 1 minute. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside to cool.
- 3Whisk eggs with soy sauce and 6 T chicken broth. Sprinkle gelatin over surface and set aside until gelatin softens, about 5 minutes.
- 4Pulse bread in food processor until finely ground, 5-10 pulses. Add gelatin, mushroom mixture, parsley, basil, oregano, mustard, pepper and thyme to processor and pulse until mushrooms are finely ground, about 10 1-second pulses. Transfer mixture back to bowl. Add turkey and mix with hands until combined.
- 5Shape mixture into a loaf about 6 1/2 by 3 1/2 inches and lay on foil rectangle. Bake in preheated oven until interior temperature is 155-160F, 75-90 minutes. Remove from oven and turn on broiler.
- 6While meatloaf is cooking, combine all glaze ingredients in a small pot. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thick and syrupy, about 5 minutes.
- 7Spread half of glaze evenly over meatloaf. Place under broiler until glaze bubbles and browns at edges, 2 minutes. Spread remaining glaze evenly over meatloaf and return to broiler until glaze again bubbles and begins to brown, about 2 minutes. Tent with foil and let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes before slicing and serving.
Browse Our Top Meatloaf Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meatloaf Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Meaty Turkey Meatloaf
Serving Size: 1 (268 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 334.0
- Calories from Fat 139
- Total Fat 15.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 152.0 mg
- Sodium 664.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 10.4 g
- Protein 33.3 g