Prep 35 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I made this tonight from the April/May 2011 Taste of Home. It was submitted by Aysha Schurman. She stated "Marinated artichokes, celery and sweet green pepper are wonderful additions to this hearty spaghetti sauce. Make sure you wrap up leftovers--this tangy sauce is even better the next day." I will add that I could not find marinated artichokes in my small town grocery store, so I just used a can of non-marinated ones for an acceptable substitute. I also had a hard time finding sun dried tomatoes. If you can get them already cut up, I'd recommend that. I wound up leaving mine in pretty big hunks and they were ok. I also recommend spicy Italian sausage.
- 1 lb bulk italian sausage
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can italian tomato paste
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 cup sun-dried tomato, chopped (not in oil)
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, beef, onion, green pepper, celery and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 4 quart slow cooker.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover; cook on low for 8-10 hours. Discard bay leaf. Serve over pasta.