Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I got this recipe from a Taste Of Home magazine and haven't tried it yet. Posted for safe keeping.
- 4 large sweet onions
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb bulk pork sausage
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 5 slices stale bread, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Peel onions and cut 1/2 inch off tops and bottoms. Place onions in a large sauce pan. Cover with boiling water. Cook until tender, about 20 minutes; drain. Cool slightly. Carefully remove inside layers of onion, separating into eight individual shells (refrigerate remaining onion for another use). Drain on paper towels.
- IN a skillet, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Add spinach, cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in the remaining ingredients. Spoon into the onion shells.
- Place in greased 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until heated through and lightly browned.