Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is an old favorite of my husbands. He use to make for our family.
- 1 (8 ounce) package manicotti
- 1⁄2 lb hot Italian sausage or 1⁄2 lb mild Italian sausage (3 links)
- 1⁄2 lb ground round
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 slice white bread, cubed
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) container small curd cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) jar pasta sauce with mushrooms, divided
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions; rinse with cold water.
- Remove casings from sausage and discard.
- Cook sausage and beef in a large skillet, stirring until meat crumbles and is no longer pink.
- Stir together egg and milk in a large bowl; add bread.
- Stir in sausage mixture, mozzarella cheese and the next 5 ingredients.
- Spoon into manicotti shells, arrange in a lightly greased 13x9-inch baking dish.
- Pour 1/2 jar of spaghetti sauce over shells.
- Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- uncover and pour remaining 1/2 jar sauce over shells; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 10 more minutes.
Quick, easy comfort food--who could ask for anything more??
I used all mild sausage instead of sausage and ground beef and I used ricotta instead of cottage cheese. Otherwise all the ingredients were the same as listed. I think I would add more mozzarella and definitely put some mozzarella on top of the manicotti and sauce too. Otherwise a great recipe! Thanks