Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A rich, slightly sweet sauce that holds up well to sturdy noodles.
- 453.59 g bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, diced
- 793.78 g can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (453.59 g) can tomato sauce
- 170.09 g can tomato paste
- 19.84 g Italian salad dressing mix (1 packet)
- 14.79 ml oregano (to taste)
- 44.37 ml basil (to taste)
- In the bottom of a large dutch oven, brown the italian sausage with the onions, cooking until the meat is browned and the onion translucent.
- Drain the fat and return meat and onions to the pan.
- Add crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce and tomatoe paste to pot.
- Stir in italian dressing mix.
- Add oregano and basil, allowing sauce to cook for at least 10 minutes between additions.
- Taste the sauce before adding anything. The flavors intensify while the sauce simmers.
- Cover and simmer over medium low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over pasta or use in lasagna.