Recipe by bcfdwife
I make a double batch of this and freeze half of it for a quick dinner on another night. Prep time is approx. I never time myself cooking.
Top Review by Stephie Biggs
TOO highly seasoned for my taste (I think it was specifically the thyme). We ate it and my husband liked it but, based on my personal taste, I'd pick another recipe before making this one again.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 2 ounces sliced pepperoni
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 3 cubes beef bouillon cubes
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 cup beef broth
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large stockpot cook the ground beef, sausage, pepperoni, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, garlic, onion, carrots and celery. Cook until beef is no longer pink. Drain into a large colander to drain grease.
- To the large saucepot, add the mushrooms, tomato sauce, tomatoes, tomato paste, bouillon cubes, bay leaves, thyme, oregano, basil, crushed red pepper, black pepper, sugar, and beef broth and stir well. Pour the meat mixture into the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 2 hours.