Recipe by Aimchick
I like to have meat sauce with spaghetti in the winter. It's one of my favorite comforts of cold weather. You can add any number of things to this sauce to make it your own as well. Sometimes, right at the end, I add a spoonful of mascarpone cheese to make it creamy--or even a little ricotta. Always use a dry red wine like Cabernet Sauvignon or Primitivo, otherwise the sauce will taste sweet.
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 3 sweet Italian sausages, casings removed
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
Directions See How It's Made
- Add onion and garlic to large skillet with 1 tbsp of olive oil and sauté 5 minutes with Italian seasoning.
- Add ground beef and sausage to pan and heat on medium high until fully cooked (approx 8 minutes).
- Pour in wine and simmer about 5 minutes.
- Add can of diced tomatoes with juice and tomato paste and stir until completely incorporated.
- Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add to 1 lb of cooked pasta and toss.