I just found this recipe in a Taste of Home magazine and can't wait to try it...
Make and share this Meaty Pasta Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 3⁄4 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 1 (25 5/8 ounce) jar italian sausage spaghetti sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) jarchunky mild salsa
- 1 (8 ounce) packagesliced pepperoni, chopped
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 (26 ounce) jar three-cheese pasta sauce
- Cook pasta according to directions.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch Oven, cook the ground beef, sausage, mushrooms, onion, and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Drain pasta; add to the meat mixture.
- Stir in the tomatoes, sausage and garlic spaghetti sauce, salsa, and pepperoni.
- Divide half of pasta mixture between two greased 13X9 in baking dishes.
- Sprinkle each with1/4 cup swiss cheese, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, and 1/3 cup parmesan cheese.
- Spread 3/4 cup three-cheese spaghetti sauce over each.
- Top with remaining pasta mixture and three-cheese spaghetti sauce. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses.
- Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months.
- Cover and bake remaining casserole for 25 minute at 350 degrees. Uncover, bake 10min longer or until cheeses melt.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. remove from fridge 30 min before baking. Cover and bske at 350 degrees for 45 minute Uncover and bake 10 min or until cheese is melted.