Prep 45 mins
Cook 35 mins
I just found this recipe in a Taste of Home magazine and can't wait to try it...
Make and share this Meaty Pasta Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 3⁄4 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 1 (25 5/8 ounce) jar italian sausage spaghetti sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) jarchunky mild salsa
- 1 (8 ounce) packagesliced pepperoni, chopped
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 (26 ounce) jar three-cheese pasta sauce
- Cook pasta according to directions.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch Oven, cook the ground beef, sausage, mushrooms, onion, and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Drain pasta; add to the meat mixture.
- Stir in the tomatoes, sausage and garlic spaghetti sauce, salsa, and pepperoni.
- Divide half of pasta mixture between two greased 13X9 in baking dishes.
- Sprinkle each with1/4 cup swiss cheese, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, and 1/3 cup parmesan cheese.
- Spread 3/4 cup three-cheese spaghetti sauce over each.
- Top with remaining pasta mixture and three-cheese spaghetti sauce. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses.
- Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months.
- Cover and bake remaining casserole for 25 minute at 350 degrees. Uncover, bake 10min longer or until cheeses melt.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. remove from fridge 30 min before baking. Cover and bske at 350 degrees for 45 minute Uncover and bake 10 min or until cheese is melted.
On nights before a soccer match we parents try to give the team extra carbs by serving them pasta. I chose to make this and it scored a "goal" with my son's hungry soccer team. The guys (15-17 year olds) kept going back for "that pasta with the pepperoni". I'm going to keep this one handy for potlucks and large family gatherings. Thanks WINNIE246!
Made this for a church fellowship potluck when we moved our new vicar & family into their home; had TONS of compliments and requests for the recipe! The extra casserole comes out of the freezer & into the oven very beautifully, too. I used a quart of home-made tomato sauce--jazzed it up with dried herbs (in place of the 25 oz jar of spaghetti sauce. Snip the pepperoni with a kitchen shears--quick work! *KEEPER!*
This is a great meal for a crowd. I made this dish and seperated it for two different meals. There is so many different flavors and textures and who would of thought that salsa would go good in this...but it does! I have made this recipe once and am making it again for a group of people for a pot luck. Definetly going to keep this recipe around