Recipe by Cookin'withGas
Hands down, this is my absolute favorite quiche...This is simple, healthy fare that is both filling and satisfying...If you can follow directions you can make this delectable dish! Add a tossed green salad and you have one heck of a meal!
- 1 (9 inch) ready-made pie crusts, deep dish (in the freezer section)
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb ground turkey breast or 1⁄2 lb ground chicken breast
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 3 large eggs
- salt, to taste (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 cups low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup yellow onion, sliced thinly
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Precook pie crust at 400°F until lightly browned (perhaps 8 min, I've never timed it) or per pkg directions.
- Remove pie from oven and then reduce oven to 350°F.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and saute the ground turkey and the mushrooms for 5 minutes, stirring to break up the meat.
- Remove the mixture to a bowl with a slotted spoon and dispose of the fat in the skillet.
- Combine the mayonnaise, milk, eggs and cornstarch in the skillet; stir until smooth.
- Add meat/mushrooms, cheddar cheese, onion, salt (to taste), pepper, thyme and nutmeg.
- Pour into prebaked pie shell; bake in the preheated 350°F oven for 35-40 minute.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Variation: Swap out the cheddar cheese for your favorite cheese, such as swiss or monterey jack.