Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Every Day with Rachael Ray. September 2007. I think this could be done OAMC.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup ricotta cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and cook until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the beef and cook until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cinnamon and nutmeg and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the tomato sauce and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, 3 to 5 minutes. Pour into an 8-inch square baking dish and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat the eggs and set aside. In a small saucepan, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat.
- Whisk in the flour and cook, whisking often, until the mixture is smooth, about 30 seconds. Slowly whisk in the milk until thickened.
- Lower the heat to medium and stir in the cream cheese and ricotta; season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk one-quarter of the cheese sauce into the reserved eggs until smooth. Whisk the egg mixture into the cheese sauce in the saucepan.
- Pour the sauce over the meat in the baking dish and spread evenly.
- Bake until the top is lightly browned and firm to the touch, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes; cut into squares to serve.
Delicious Moussaka! My DD and I cleaned our plates and so did my mom and dad. My dad even asked for seconds!