Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 35 mins
Minestrone is good without meat, but this version is quite good, too.
- 1 (16 ounce) can plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped with juice
- 6 cups beef stock or 6 cups beef broth
- 1 lb beef stew meat
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- parmesan cheese (1 1-inch wedge)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cut green beans (1-inch pieces)
- 1 zucchini, unpeeled, halved lengthwise and then sliced
- 1⁄2 cup small uncooked macaroni
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- fresh grated parmesan cheese
- In a large stock pot or Dutch oven, mix together the first 12 ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Immerse the Parmesan cheese wedge in the soup.
- Lower heat to medium-low; simmer, covered, for about 1 hour, 15 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Add in green beans, zucchini, macaroni, and beans.
- Cover and simmer about 20 more minutes or until macaroni is al dente and vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Remove bay leaf and throw away.
- Ladle soup into bowls; sprinkle with parmesan cheese.