Variations on a theme...Another variant of Goulash, not to mention another 'one dish meal' from my collection that has also been made more heart healthy by changing to whole grain pasta, using turkey breast and no-salt-added tomatoes...In addition, you could go meatless by removing the ground turkey breast and doubling the kidney beans...Add a tossed salad to make it complete!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground turkey breast or 1 lb ground chicken breast
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) package macaroni, uncooked (Ronzoni Whole Wheat pasta)
- 1 (20 ounce) can low-sodium tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans (do NOT drain)
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (4 ounce) package cheddar cheese cubes
- 1In a dutch oven, cook the macaroni per pkg; drain and set aside.
- 2While the macaroni cooks, take a skillet and brown the ground turkey with the onion in the oil.
- 3Once the macaroni is done you're going to add the meat/onion to the macaroni in the dutch oven.
- 4Then add the tommatoes and the kidney beans (including their liquids) to the macaroni as well.
- 5Season with salt and pepper to taste; then add the cheddar cheese.
- 6Simmer for 20 minutes or until hot.
- 7Variations: Use a different pasta such as rotini or penne rigati; use a different sharp cheese like monterey jack, etc.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Meaty Memphis Goulash
Serving Size: 1 (497 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 617.8
- Calories from Fat 137
- Total Fat 15.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 100.1 mg
- Sodium 585.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 8.9 g
- Protein 50.0 g