Recipe by Cookin'withGas
Variations on a theme...Another variant of Goulash, not to mention another 'one dish meal' from my collection that has also been made more heart healthy by changing to whole grain pasta, using turkey breast and no-salt-added tomatoes...In addition, you could go meatless by removing the ground turkey breast and doubling the kidney beans...Add a tossed salad to make it complete!
- 1 lb ground turkey breast or 1 lb ground chicken breast
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) package macaroni, uncooked (Ronzoni Whole Wheat pasta)
- 1 (20 ounce) can low-sodium tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans (do NOT drain)
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (4 ounce) package cheddar cheese cubes
Directions See How It's Made
- In a dutch oven, cook the macaroni per pkg; drain and set aside.
- While the macaroni cooks, take a skillet and brown the ground turkey with the onion in the oil.
- Once the macaroni is done you're going to add the meat/onion to the macaroni in the dutch oven.
- Then add the tommatoes and the kidney beans (including their liquids) to the macaroni as well.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste; then add the cheddar cheese.
- Simmer for 20 minutes or until hot.
- Variations: Use a different pasta such as rotini or penne rigati; use a different sharp cheese like monterey jack, etc.