Recipe by Ilysse
I LOVE this sauce. This is for meat lovers as there isn't much tomato to it but it has a wonderful flavor. I like it with a thick pasta like rigatoni to scoop it up or a paparadelli.
Top Review by Skyway Tart
Loved this recipe! As I am watching my carbs, I planned to eat the sauce without any pasta. Used more ground beef and substituted poultry seasoning for the sage leaves. Since I'm trying to work more veggies into all of my entrees, I added chopped celery, green bell pepper and a lot of sliced mushrooms. The result was a wonderfully thick, rich sauce. A sprinkle of parmesan on top and I had a "spaghetti stew" that was hearty and satisfying. Thanks for a great recipe!
- 1 medium red onions or 1 medium white onions or 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 10 sprigs parsley, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped,to taste
- 4 large sage leaves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb smoked beef sausage or 1⁄2 lb pork sausage or 1⁄2 lb turkey sausage
- salt and pepper, to taste
- hot pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 lb pasta
Directions See How It's Made
- Place oil in a large pot.
- saute onion, parsley, garlic and sage until onion is soft.
- Add meats and cook while breaking up until no longer pink.
- Add wine and let boil 2 minutes while scraping bottom of pan.
- Lower heat and season with salt& pepper and pepper flakes.
- Mix tomato paste and broth and add to pot.
- Simmer uncovered for about 1 hour.
- Cook pasta until al dente Toss sauce with hot pasta.