Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I got the original recipe from a "Gift Jar" book, but I modified it just a little. You can still layer the dry ingredients and enclose a seasoning packet if you want to give as a gift. This fits in a 1 pint wide mouth jar if you're gifting.
- 1⁄3 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
- 1⁄3 cup dried split green peas
- 1⁄3 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1⁄3 cup dried lentils
- 3 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried celery flakes
- 2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules or 9 bouillon cubes
- 2 teaspoons soul seasoning
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant minced garlic or 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stew meat
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 8 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- If gifting, layer the rice, then the green peas, then the barley, then the lentils. Mix dry seasonings and enclose in a plastic bag at the top of the jar. The recipient will need to add the fresh ingredients when they make it.
- Begin by browning the stew meat in the oil. Place the brown rice, green peas, barley and lentils in a colander and rinse. Transfer to a soup pot. Add 6 cups of water and the seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Stir in tomatoes and 2 cups of water. Heat thoroughly and serve. Goes very well with homemade bread! Enjoy!