Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This recipe is from the archives of Pioneer Lodge, a Seniors Residence. Good hearty guaranteed to please all tastes
- 6 cups water
- 6 1⁄2 ounces beef bouillon cubes
- 28 ounces canned tomatoes, chopped
- 10 ounces tomato soup, canned
- 2 cups carrots, shredded
- 2 cups potatoes, shredded
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley or 1⁄2 cup pot barley
- 6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 3 cups left over cooked roast beef, chopped
- Heat 6 cups water and add bouillon cubes, stir to dissolve.
- Add remaining ingredients except roast beef.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for about 1 1/2 hours.
- Add beef& simmer another 1/2 hour.
I had my own stock from a previous roasted beef and just adjusted it from what I had. This is a very nice tasting soup. My boy would love it if he liked veggies. Everyone else really enjoyed it though. Thanks.
Thanks for sharing this recipe. I used 500ml beef stock and 350ml water. I ommitted the canned tomatoes (I didn't have any) and followed the recipe off "pat" for the flavourings, although I did add 1tsp crushed garlic!! (we love garlic!) Indeed a fine comfort soup.
This was very easy to make and had good flavor. I turned it into more of a stew by increasing the amount of potatoes to 5 cups and omitting the second 6 cups of water. Also, I used four cans of beef broth instead of the cubes. Made this way, it was an excellent winter dinner or lunch. It freezes very well.