Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Hearty and delicious baked bean recipe.
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb bulk pork sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (16 ounce) cans pork and beans, undrained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans or 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans butter beans or 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup bottled barbecue sauce
- 4 slices bacon, cooked crisp,drained and crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- Add the ground beef, sausage, onion, and garlic to a big skillet; cook until meat is browned; drain well.
- Put meat mixture into a 5-6 quart slow-cooker.
- Add undrained pork and beans, drained kidney beans and butter beans, barbecue sauce, bacon, sugar, water, lime juice, mustard, chili powder, and pepper; stir to combine.
- Cover; cook on LOW for 5-6 hours; season with salt to taste.
Oh, this was gooood! Used to make something similar, but the different beans really make this shine. The addition of lime juice was inspired. And the BBQ sauce added that little kick we so enjoyed. Thnx for sharing your recipe, ratherbeswimmin'. Made for My-3-Chefs 2009.