Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
My DH loves this stuff. I serve this as part of my "winter family function" menu. Cook the meat/sauce mixture the night before, reheat the next day and then add the cooked pasta. Great reheated in the microwave too!
- olive oil (for sauteing)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 red peppers (chopped or sliced into strips)
- 3 1⁄2 lbs ground beef (I usually buy the cheap stuff and drain the fat)
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes (I used Pine Cone brand)
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 24 ounces water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 lb pasta (I used rotini)
- parmesan cheese (to sprinkle on individual servings) (optional)
- In a large pan with olive oil, saute onions and red peppers until tender.
- Crumble ground beef, add to pan, cook until done.
- Once done, drain any excess fat using a colander.
- Once drained, place back in pan.
- Crush whole tomatoes and add to ground beef mixture.
- Add tomato paste and water and stir.
- Stir in salt, pepper, garlic powder, basil, oregano, and sugar. (adjust seasoning amounts according to your tastes).
- Let simmer for 1 hour.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Once cooked, drain and add to meat/sauce mixture.
- Stir until pasta in well coated and serve immediately.
- (For added flavor, top individual serving with parmesan cheese).
This recipe pushes all the right buttons. Definitely better for being left overnight before eating. Easy to make but a real change from the usual 'bolognese' type of sauce. Added a pinch of chili powder as personal preference. Well worth trying this one out!