Recipe by adopt a greyhound
This recipe came from Food Network. I have made it several times and my DH said it gets better every time. I have changed a few things to our liking. I serve it with garlic mashed potatoes.
Top Review by lauralie41
A wonderful meatloaf and tomato gravy recipe! I used seasoned breadcrumbs and didnt add the kosher salt for the meatloaf. The gravy I used chicken broth instead of the chicken base dissolved in water. Took this to my sister's when she came home from the hospital with my nephew and served with your garlic potatoes. Thank you again for another wonderful recipe!
- 1⁄2 cup toasted dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 medium onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground sirloin
- 12 ounces pork sausage
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese (or more)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons chicken base, dissolved in
- 2 cups water
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated (or more)
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large skillet, add oil, butter.
- Add onion, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper and cook on med.
- until the onions are tender about 10 minute Let this mixture cool.
- In a large bowl, add the bread crumbs, onion mixture, meats, cheese and Worcestershire sauce.
- Toss and mix gently.
- Don't over handle.
- Add the beaten eggs and stir to coat the meat.
- Transfer to a foil lined jelly roll pan and press into a long log.
- Bake at 350°F for approximately 45 minutes.
- Check about 10 minutes before to see if an instant read thermometer reads 160°F.
- Tent the meatloaf and let rest 15 minute While the meatloaf is cooking.
- In a large skillet, add the olive oil, and butter.
- Add the onions, garlic and oregano and cook over medium heat about 6 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and bay leaf.
- Stir until you can smell the garlic about 3 minute.
- Add the chicken broth and diced tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce to a simmer and cook the sauce until thickened, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add the Parmesan cheese, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Be sure to remove the bay leaf.
- After the meatloaf has rested, top the meatloaf with the gravy.
- Cut into serving slices and ENJOY!