Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Does the world really need another meat loaf recipe? YES...this one! I have converted three meat loaf haters into meat loaf lovers with this recipe. It's now the only recipe I use, and I make it with turkey. If you are lucky enough to have leftovers, you will enjoy a really delicious meat loaf sandwich.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground turkey or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chicken or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 2⁄3 cup chopped drained sun-dried tomato packed in oil
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons dried rubbed sage
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease a loaf pan, preferably glass.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and saute for 5 minutes; add celery and continue cooking until veggies are very tender, about 15 minutes longer.
- Transfer to large bowl.
- Add all remiaining ingredients except ketchup to vegetables in bowl.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Transfer to prepared pan and press mixture down well, smoothing the top.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Spread ketchup on taop and bake about 15 minutes longer.
- Let sit for 5 minutes.
- slice and serve.
We went away for the weekend and I made this to take to my hosts. I left the milk out altogether, and substituted some oniony/garlicky cracker crumbs instead of the breadcrumbs. The sun-dried tomatoes give it a great kick in flavor. I cut back on the sage, added more oregano, and we were a very happy bunch for lunch!
Loved it. the only thing I added was some minced carrots
My Families new favorite meatloaf!!!I did change a few things. I used one pound of lean ground beef and added Italian breadcrumbs instead of fresh. I omitted the sage and oregano. I used the vegetables in amounts called for. The results, a perfect meatloaf that will replace my old. Thanks so much!!!