Recipe by Pinaygourmet #345142
This is from Cosmopolitan magazine, it's a wonderful low-fat meatloaf that's sure to please your family. Cook Note: A meat loaf cooked in a loaf pan will be juicier than one patted into a shape and cooked in a larger pan. Do-Ahead Prep: The meat loaf can be shaped earlier in the day, wrapped tightly, and refrigerated until ready to cook.
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 whole lightly beaten egg
- 1 lightly beaten egg white
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- fresh basil leaf
- 3⁄4 cup quick-cooking oatmeal (not instant)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 finely chopped large onion
- 1 finely minced garlic clove
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 casing, removed and finely chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard, grainy style preferred
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the mushrooms in ½ cup hot water until softened, about 20 minutes. Strain the mushrooms, finely chop, and set aside. Strain the reserved mushroom liquid into a small bowl, stir in the oatmeal, and allow to sit at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F; coat a 9-x-5-x-3 inch nonstick loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small skillet, heat the oil and sauté the onion over medium-high heat, stirring often, until the onion is lightly golden, about 6 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic and stir to just combine the flavors, for 30 seconds. Remove the skillet from the heat, transfer the onions to a large bowl, and allow to cool slightly.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the onions, including the chopped mushrooms and oatmeal, mixing with your hands until well combined and place in the prepared loaf pan. Spread the tomato paste to cover the loaf.
- Bake for 1 hour. Remove the pan from the oven and allow it to sit for about 10 minutes to allow the flavors to develop and to make it easier to slice the loaf. Slice and serve the loaf garnished with basil leaves.