Recipe by keyes123
For a while now a long while I have wanted meatloaf--ketchup glazed meatloaf, but not a dried dense overcooked one. These days we eat less red meat, but once in a while you need to feed your soul. This uses low sodium saltine crackers soaked with the milk so it is a moist light loaf, with the egg whites lightly beaten. Also cooked on broiler pan from toaster oven that died--kept the pan so fat drained away.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs meatloaf mixture (veal, beef, pork)
- 1⁄2 cup low-sodium crackers, crushed this was about 8 to 10
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 eggs, whited lightly beaten
for the glaze
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In large bowl mix crackers with milk. Let this sit a couple of minutes and then mix the rest in and shape into a loaf.
- Spray the rack or broiler pan with spray. You want to drain away the fat.
- Bake 1 1/4 hrs.
- In small bowl combine the glaze ingredients. I put it on after the meatloaf browns, then again right before finishing.